Aplentus

2 birds with 1 stone? I will use 7 or 8 stones just to make sure. I want those birds dead, dead, dead.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

measured amounts

First, I reserve the right to add types of measurements that I might have inadvertently left out. Also, by way of a thesis, I will give you commonly used amounts with the little known matching numeric definitions, with a discussion of not so commonly used amounts and a discussion of their meaning.
Commonly, I find myself faced with this dilemma: Someone asks me:
"May I have some."
Some? Doesn't matter what I am giving some of, what matters is how much is some? When someone asks me for say, some m&m's. Do I have any idea what the amount difference is between some and a handful? What about a few? "Can I have a few of those?"
What if I accidentally give some instead of a few? What about a lot?
"This isn't a lot of those, this is only a few."
"It is more than a few, it is some!"
"Well, it might be some, but I asked for a lot."
"I don't have a lot to give you, here, just have a handful."
"I want more than a handful, you have tons!"
"I don't have tons, I hardly have any"
"You have a buttload!"
"Will, you could have had some, or a handful, but since you are a complainer, you may only have a couple."

No one has any idea what the amount was to begin with, nor what it got whittled down to. But now, this will never happen to you again:

Regular Scale Measurements:

one= 1 single one.
a couple= two
a few= 3-7
some= 8-19
a lot= 20-33

Outside of this regular scale of measurement, are overlapping measurements.

Nonstandard Scale of Measurements:

a handful= 6-23 (it has a broad scope. A handful can be as few as "a few", or as many as a small "a lot")
many= 25-41 ("many" starts in the "a lot" category, but surpasses its cap. In fact, it surpasses the volume of the whole regular scale of measurements)
a bunch= 17-29 ("a bunch" is similar in scope to "many," but is lesser in volume. Also, don't confuse the "a bunch" numeric measurement with the very similar adjective "a cluster." Clusters are tricky. They a given amount of one type of thing, stuck together into one thing. Peanut clusters being an obvious example. A not so obvious example are flowers. Common misusage of measurement language is to say, "I brought you a bunch of flowers," which is a misnomer. Correct usage is "I brought you a cluster of flowers." But cluster of flowers sounds wrong, so bunch is typically misappropriated for this use.)

There is a third category, the scope of which doesn't fit either the Standard or Nonstandard. The third set is called the Staggering System of Measurement. Staggering measurements are measurements that seem big enough that quantifying them, while not impossible, seems either daunting, or in some other way, undesirable.

Staggering System of Measurement:

A buttload-Assload
Tons
Gajillions

No numeric values are fixed to these because ultimately, who knows how many there are ?

The discussion of not so commonly used amounts, or the Arcane System of Measurement, will be further expounded in a future post. This post is probably enough new information to digest at once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home