Aplentus

2 birds with 1 stone? I will use 7 or 8 stones just to make sure. I want those birds dead, dead, dead.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Summed up...

Your entire career, on a piece of paper the size of a credit card. I understand why they exist, if I go to a conference, or whatever, I want to be able to hand out my contact information hoping that the contact I make will help me get better contact information. Or I want to take contact information so the person I took contact information from can help me get new contact information. Maybe I will quit working where I work to work at a new place, or maybe someone can help me get ahead at my job enough so that I need a new business card that holds my new title. Director, Partner, CEO, CIO, Associate, Assistant Director, Coordinator, Project Manager, Lead, Technician, Developer, Manager, Executive Assistant, Customer Service Representative, Service Agent, Engineer, Supervisor, Controller, Clerk, Dispatcher...for awhile I was a Damage Adjuster. I adjusted damage. That was an enjoyable title sheerly because it had the word damage in it. A lot of titles, and they all mean something different. They are all words that signify action too. I guess that isn't true, really. There are waiters... Although they might not get cards.

Anytime I look for a new job, I have to write a new resume, a new cover letter, update a portfolio... (off topic: Who carries around a portfolio anymore? There isn't a correct word for what this has come to mean. The word portfolio is more about the case than what is inside it. Ironic this word has been misappropriated. When looking for new jobs, the searcher is more of a portfolio than anything else. Working is mostly about making sure you look good.) If I get a new job, among the first things the new place will give me is a new card. They summarize all the hiring documentation into a credit card size status symbol. "Thanks for all this paperwork, we are will to take a risk with you. Here is our summary of you to date." Why don't we wear these things as rank? Next new job I get, I think I am going to try and negotiate the title Viceroy. It isn't clear what I would be doing or why by my title. It sounds impressive, and wouldn't be easily stereotyped or pigeonholed. Viceroy it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home